Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sausages and Cider Sauce



Braised Sausages with Apple, Onion and Hard Cider Sauce
Serves 4

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds veal, beef or chicken bratwurst (8 links)
4 apples, left unpeeled, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup hard cider (or regular cidar which I used)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/3 cup grainy mustard
1 tablespoon butter
1 loaf pumpernickel raisin bread, sliced (didnt buy this so I used my muffins that I made)

Preparation
I used only 3 big sausages and 1/2 of the above recipe since I dont eat sausages but I did try them and next time will probably make more cause they were really tasty. Seth loved em. Very good autumnish flavor.


I used 3 Colosomos frozen brauts (cant spell) unthawed. Put them in a frying pan on medium heat filled 3/4 the way up with water. When the water is 1/2 evaporated I flip the sausages and start working on the below.


Add the apples and onions to a seperate frying pan (deep), then season with salt and pepper and cook until tender 5 minutes. Add the cider (I think hard would be good if I had any), brown sugar and grainy mustard and bring up to a bubble. Add the sausages to the pan (water should be evaporated) and cook until the liquids have reduced a bit and thickened up, 3-4 minutes.
While everything is simmering, toast a few slices of pumpernickel bread under the broiler and butter them. Serve the sausages with some veggies and buttered pumpernickel toast alongside.

No comments: