- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 lbs plum tomatoes, ripened and roughly chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded and loosely packed
- Optional: heavy cream 2 table spoons
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan until foaming.
Add the onion and roasted garlic. Cook gently for about 5 minutes, stirring, until the onion is softened but not brown.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes, then add the stock, white wine and salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, half cover the pan, and simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occcasionally.
Process the soup with the shredded basil in a blender or food processor, add back to pan
Add the cream and heat through, stirring to a hot eating temp
Check the consistency and add more stock if necessary, then season with salt and pepper.